A plethora of trails wind their way all over the valley and you don’t have to go far to find some world class single track. If you are looking for something a little tamer, try the River Trail around town which is chariot and child friendly.
Located on the lower Island Lake property, The Lazy Lizard Trail has quickly become one of the most popular trails in the area. The trail is designed for various ability levels including novice and young riders. The machine built trail accommodates both up and down traffic and offers smooth even grades with berms and wide bridges. Trail highlights include steel frame wood decked bridges (some over 6.0 m. spans), elevated boardwalks, an undulating path through a spectacular Old Growth forest, spectacular view points of the Lizard Range with the uphill terminating at the lodges of Island Lake. Trail users can enjoy a cold drink, lunch or dinner before relishing in the flowy descent.
Safety and Etiquette:
- Thetrail is not a downhill only trail. Be respectful of uphill riders, runners, hikers and wildlife. For great downhill options: Morrissey Ridgeand Fernie Alpine Resort
- Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill.
- Strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.
- Make noise, especially when sight line limited.Let wildlife and people know of your presence.
- The trail is not an acceptable trail for off leash dogs. Be respectful of other riders, wildlife and your dog.
- Follow International Mountain Bicycling Association of Canada Rules of the Trail:https://www.imbacanada.com/resources/trail_rules.html
Length: 7 km
Elevation Gain: 339 metres
Start: North side of the Island Lake property gate
Also, crossing the Island Lake property, Project 9 is a great downhill trail that has become one if the signature trails in the area. Verboten & Snake Bite are two other black runs that cross the Island Lake property.
For details on other popular rides around town, check out Fernie Mountain Bike Club website or stop in at one of the local shops for trail maps and advice.